Friday 25 February 2011

In Space...No one can hear you scream

Dead Space 2 - Review



Dead Space 2 is a survival horror video game developed by Visceral Games and published by EA for Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PC. It is the sequel to Dead Space. Unlike its predecessor, Dead Space 2 has a multiplayer mode (Shame about that really...)


So I pre-ordered Dead Space 2 on a recommendation of a friend. Never having played the first 'Dead Space' I was left with merely screenshots and teaser trailers to wet my appetite, oh, along with many a person saying 'You will shit your pants' - encouraging!


So, release day came and went and true to form...I receive my copy two days later - thank you Amazon for your swift delivery! 


Once I was home from work, I inserted the game, turned on the trusty Xbox360 and loaded up the game. Now...for 'atmosphere' and us gamers do enjoy a good bit of this in our games, I turned the lights off and popped my TurtleBeach X41's on (Here) and I loaded up Chapter One with baited breath...


Now, let me tell you...when you dont expect the 'aliens' or 'mutated humans' to look such as they do and you are strapped up in a straight jacket running for your life, it can be rather 'heart in mouth' as you pound the red, green, yellow, blue buttons trying to save your pixel created Issac...turns out, it worked and a wonderful checkpoint movie appeared.




"You will shit your pants" - Turns out, they were right...

Let me tell you...with the lights off, no one home and the surround sound headset on with a 'mutant' or 12 added to the mix, things happen to you that generally I am NOT a fan off... Let me tell you, Sweaty palms... heightened heart rate...and the weird ability to want to hide under my bed...

So with these conditions only getting worse as the chapters progressed...I hit the lights and decided to move to my conventional 5.1 speaker setup - ahhh much better! No more heightened heart rate or the 7yr old urge to stuff myself under my bed...I soldiered on as a space engineer only knows how...collect money, load up on ammo and dismember every moving thing I see!


Now, as this is a review...I will stop my waffling and tell you what I really think.

The game as a whole is very good, atmosphere is brilliant, graphics are very impressive, especially for such a dark game. The 'mutants' / 'Aliens' / 'Sons of Satan' whatever you want to call them...are very varied and all act differently - although they all do have one thing in common - the ability to still kill me with no arms or a head - go figure.

As I mentioned earlier, having not played the first game, I was unaware of the weapon types, the different suits, the upgrades or more importantly - the controls, however, as I was pleased to find out, the controls are a doddle to learn - but will take you quite a while to master (as I am still finding out)

The weapons are really good, however, upgrade your primary weapon you start with - the Plasma Cutter and you are good to go for the entire game - the other weapons although good, really just give you a different way of killing the aliens.

One more point I must cover before moving on is Issac's girlfriend - All I have to say on this is 'What a Bitch'

What lets this game down is the slight monotony of the VERY long chapters - kill a hundred aliens, flick a switch or add a power conduit to a mainframe and away we go.

The other area this game is let down in is the MULTIPLAYER - imagine L4D2 (Left 4 Dead 2) multiplayer and you are imagining Dead Space 2 multiplayer - boring and tedious after only a short while.

Overall, I would give this game a 8.5 out of 10


"Its alright Issac...You will find your way home soon...."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"imagine L4D2 (Left 4 Dead 2) multiplayer and you are imagining Dead Space 2 multiplayer - boring and tedious after only a short while"

WHAT - when did you ever give L4D2 a fair crack of the whip? I personally thought it was good fun especially playing as the infected!

Post a Comment