Tuesday 12 April 2011

It's a Geek World...

Welcome to Sgt Talbert's Headquarters....

So guys and girls, I've made a few blogs surrounding games I have played and games I am looking forward to and a couple movie reviews thrown into the mix...

What I have not done is show you or talk about the equipment I use to get the most out of my gaming experience, so how about I do just that?


Here we have the 50LG5000, HTPC (Custom build), Sky+ HD, Xbox 360 Elite, Sony PS3 and Sony HT-SS100 5.1 system. My first 'LCD' TV was a 32" 'monster' that suited my needs perfectly, however, as many a geek can confirm, my needs grew and I upgraded to a 37" TV and Full HD glory. This purchase satisfied my thirst for new gadgets, however, that time did come around one sunny morning when I sold my current TV and purchased the 50LG5000. Thankfully, this has fulfilled my need for 'bigger' and 'better' for the past two years so hopefully I am good to go for now.....That and I dont think a bigger TV would fit!

Here you can see the Sony Playstation 3 120gb Slim. I don't really play games on the Sony system, I use it more for the playback of BluRay films and streaming of certain content. The bottom shelf of my entertainment center is dedicated to my lovely Sony HT-SS100 amp - 1000watts of pure sound!

Another close up of the Sony Amp / Receiver. I have my HTPC, XBox and PS3 plugged directly into the Amp / Receiver which means I get full High Definition graphics and sound at a flick of a 'auto switch'.  

Center speaker along with the Microsoft Scene IT IR receiver

My Custom built HTPC
Case: NZXT Rogue (Black with Blue LED lighting)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
RAM: 4GB DDR2 Corsair MXS2 800
Graphics: ATI HD3850 eXtreme 512 DDR3
Sound: Auzentech HDA X-Plosion 7.1
Storage: 4 Terabytes / 320Gb External
Drive: LG GGW-H20L BluRay / HD-Dvd Rom
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Here we have my baby, the Xbox 360 Elite 120Gb. Oh you may be a loud and temperamental old soul, but much like grandparents, we still love them dearly. This Xbox may not have seen me start my journey on LIVE but boy has it seen me break the 5,000 and 10,000 Gamerscore barriers and hopefully will see me hit a few more mile stones yet before the old girl internally com busts and melts onto the wool carpet and forces me down the route of its younger, sexier, more obedient younger sister

My sub, really helps immerse you into your games, especially when flying at tree top level in Battlefield Vietnam and you can hear the whack whack whack of the rotor blades. Nothing beats it....

My two trusty black wireless Xbox controllers, even though they do guzzle battery juice quicker than a Chevy V8 engine, I would not go into battle or step onto the track without them. I purchased a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 'Shell' from Play.com for £1.99 and it was very much worth it - great build quality. My lovely girlfriend also purchased me the official 'Plug and Play' charge kits to help appease my controllers addiction to the acidic juice. 

My Turtle Beach X41's, much like my wireless controllers, wouldn't be without these babies and the battery life is VERY good on them, along with build quality and most importantly, the 5.1 sound is second to none.

You can see the wireless decoder box that runs an optical cable from the transmitter to the Sony amp. A nice angled shot of my headphone cans and the fabric ear cups. The microphone boom is detachable

My Bluetooth keyboard with built in track pad - couldn't be without this when navigating my Media PC from the comfort of my bed or technically, the comfort of anywhere within a 10 meter radius... The next gadget you can see is the Logitech Harmony Remote (525 Model) this is probably the cleverest bit of kit I have ever purchased. You can set your devices up and when I press 'XBox' on the screen, the TV, Xbox, Sony Amp all turn on and any other device that is turned on and unneeded is turned off - brilliant!

Now the above and below pictures are of what I like to call 'The Geek Shelf' We have above...The Stig bust, a lovely framed collage of me and the lovely girlfriend, Rios from Army of Two and the Inception Limited Edition briefcase. Scroll on down for part two of 'The Geek Shelf'

So as I was saying, from right to left, we have Big Daddy from Bio Shock, the Prestige Edition RC car from the Call of Duty: Black Ops game (Yes, I also have the NVG's from the MW2 package) and the Black Ops medal (You weren't there man, you weren't there!!) and for when Big Daddy and Rios are on a break from defending ones shelf, you have Super Spoon Man...

So there we have it, a whistle stop tour of my gaming setup and indulgences I have accumulated over the years. I hope you enjoyed seeing my humble setup and hope I have inspired you to start or add to your own! (I take no responsibility for the amount of money you spend however!)

So stick around, have a nosy or if you must leave, please do come back soon and see what new exciting content awaits. 

1 comments:

Oliver Gardiner said...

You seem to be missing a framed picture of OTronics!

Post a Comment